In commemoration and in honor, the Belizean Post Office has issued a new stamp set in recognition of the 100th Anniversary of the arrival of our Pallottine Missionary Sisters to the shores of Belize. The issue is comprised of three beautiful historical stamps: the 25¢ depicts the historical landing of Pallottine Sisters at the banks of the Macal River in San Ignacio, Cayo; the 60¢ shows the Novitiate Nazareth Chapel in Toledo; and the 10¢ depicts the Pallottine Sisters Centennial logo. The printing is credited to Mr. Nick Shewring of the Crown Agent Stamp Bureau in Sutton, London, UK, with the Lowe-Martin Group in Canada.
On 17 March, 1913, four German Pallottine Sisters challenged the boat ride from Belize City to San Ignacio, where they landed on the banks of the Macal River. Their journey continued to Benque Viejo by horse and buggy. There, the Sisters planted the first seeds of evangelization, education, nursing, gardening and domestic skills. From these early seeds flourished 100 years of ministry to the country of Belize, spanning the districts of Corosal, Orange Walk, Belize and Toledo. Over these 100 years years, 102 young Belizean girls answered the call and served in one or more of the 19 schools or hospitals staffed by the Pallottines. Today the whole Congregation rejoices over this remarkable evangelical accomplishment. “Ad multos annos” Belize!
[philately Lowe-Martin Philatelic Group]